We are a non-profit organization with a passion to enrich Minnesota’s diverse cultural landscape by preserving and sharing the valuable heritage of the Romanian American community.
Mark your calendars
2019 HORA Gala is Sunday, October 27th at the Edinburgh Ballroom, Brooklyn Park. We are preparing an amazing program to celebrate HORA’s 10th anniversary and so much more!
Meet HORA’s new board of directors!
Do you want to learn more about us? A picture is worth a thousands words! Check out our Photo and Video Gallery from our Past Events.
We trust you will join us soon!
Documenting Immigration – Oral History Project
Through the Iron Curtain – From Romania documentary was born from fifteen oral history recordings completed by HORA in working with Town Square Television.
HORA offers Romanian Language Classes for adults and children in the Twin Cities. Our curriculum offers students the ability to learn the language and connect with the Romanian culture, traditions or travel plans.
HORA has established an Internship Program, where we will offer Grants to two motivated youth every year, for supporting the activities of our organization in the area of media (vieo recording, photopgraphy), web content, Newsletter editing, Event Organization.
- Informational Resource of Romanian heritage, culture, history, values, current events, and community involvement.
- Host quarterly events to promote and present various aspects of the Romanian cultural heritage. HORA will explore the interests of the public and develop future events accordingly.
- Raise funds and awareness for publications and activities that add to the promotion and preservation of Romanian American cultural heritage.
- Showcase Romanian Americans who have achieved important standings in their Minnesota community or in the United States at large.
- To develop an archive of the historic and cultural heritage of Romanian Americans in Minnesota. This will include taped interviews of several generations of immigrants, showcasing their different experiences and expectations.
- To collaborate with other like-minded organizations in Minnesota and abroad.
A brief history of Romanian immigration to Minnesota
The Romanian community in Minnesota was established around the early 1900s. Driven by poverty and the hope for a better life, Romanians began arriving as part of a larger Eastern European wave of immigrants, settling mainly in St. Paul and South St. Paul. While Romanian immigration decreased significantly after WWII and the spread of Russian Communism, it picked back up after the fall of European communism at the end of the 1980s.
Motivations for immigration, as well as cultural and social backgrounds, are highly diverse. A great effort is underway to document the incredible stories of Romanians immigrating to Minnesota over the last century. Please make sure to visit the “Oral History Project” page under the “Projects and Outreach” tab above for much more information.
Do you feel like giving back to the community?
Are you excited by our activities and do you want to get engaged?
Do you have any new ideas and would like to leverage HORA’s platform to drive them?
Your membership will support a very young and ambitious organization, helping it grow, expand and make a difference.